Are you worn out from political talk online? Me too. Here’s the only thing my new book, It’s Not Fair, has to say about politics:
“I’m not really into politics. Arguing makes me sweaty, and politics seems like a lot of arguing. It’s one of those things I know is probably super important, but I’d rather live my life knowing it’s out there being important but not directly interacting with it in my actual life, like the space program or Dancing with the Stars.”
I mean, it’s absolutely important, but these days getting on Facebook makes you want to bury yourself in the backyard. This week I decided to fight the political doldrums with laughter. If you’re like me and need a break from all the arguing, I’ve compiled a list of all my favorite posts and videos that have zero to do with politics. The only criteria? To make it on this list, they had to make me gut-laugh. So if you need a laugh, please enjoy. (These are in no particular order.) (Some of these are kid-approved and some are definitely not, so if you have kids around, let’s just go ahead and assume they aren’t and you can decide for yourself which things you can read to or show your kids. That way nobody gets mad at me.)
Here are 21 gut-laughs to take your mind off the election:
1. P.J. Doesn’t Fit into Women’s Group – This is what happens if Melissa McCarthy shows up at your house in the suburbs.
2. The Fart that (Almost) Altered My Destiny – When I try to read this epic first date story out loud, I end up wheezing out the last half because I’m laughing so hard.
3. Brothers Convince Little Sister of Zombie Apocalypse – My kids love this one.
4. Brian Regan’s Me Monster – This is hilarious, and also we’ve all met this guy at parties.
5. NPR’s “Delicious Dish” – Pete’s Schweddy Balls – I mean, c’mon. Classic SNL.
6. Birth Class Video Screening – I made the mistake of showing this at my church small group one time when a couple of the women were pregnant, which may go down in history as one of the most awkward small group moments of all time.
7. Just Don’t. Unless It’s a Gift for Someone You Hate. – This is an Amazon review of Haribo sugarless gummy bears. I’ve read this out loud at several dinner parties, and Alex has tried these and confirms the review’s legitimacy.
8. More Cowbell – Worth it for Will Ferrell’s crop top.
9. Tim Hawkins on Hand Raising in Church – Since watching this, I cannot get through church without giggling in my head. I tend to go with “Wash the Windows.”
10. I Tried on Spanx and Almost Called 911 – Illustrated with “Crappy Pictures.” We’ve all had this experience.
11. A Fake Film Crew, Armpit Paste, and Spilled Beer: A Day in the Life – This is my favorite Jen Hatmaker post ever.
12. Oils Can Save Us from the Zombie Apocalypse – Okay, I know it’s lame to put my own post in here, but to this day, “fire anus” makes me die laughing.
13. Surviving Whole Foods – This will redefine “namaste” for you. It’s perfect and I wish I wrote it.
14. 40 Things Everyone But You Is Doing This Summer – Most cathartic post ever, after a summer montage of perfect Instagram photos.
15. Flight of the Conchords: Business Time – This may be one of the first videos I ever watched grouped around someone’s screen.
16. Christian Tingle (Part 1 of 2) – Part 1 is my favorite. Part 2 has an edge to it that makes me sad inside.
17. Shoot Christians Say – I echo the echo of his echo.
18. Shorts & Skins – I’ve probably watched this more than I should admit.
19. Key & Peele – Substitute Teacher – These guys are so brilliant, and I watched this before a foster care training workshop where the teacher got everybody’s name wrong.
20. Jim Gaffigan – Hot Pocket! – “Will it burn my mouth?” “It’ll DESTROY your mouth.”